VP of Finance | Sample Job Description
If you are an employer seeking qualified job seekers for your VP of Finance position, read our sample job description below and revise it to meet your company's specific job duties and requirements. If you are a job seeker looking for a VP of Finance position, use our sample job description below to see what job skills and experiences employers are seeking.
VP of Finance
The successful candidate will provide leadership and coordination of company financial planning, debt financing, and budget management functions and ensure company accounting procedures and reporting conform to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Direct and coordinate LOB financial planning and budget management functions
- Recommend benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance
- Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget
- Oversee daily operations of the finance and accounting department
- Manage the preparation of all financial reports
- Manage the preparation of financial outlooks and financial forecasts
- Prepare financial analysis for contract negotiations and product investment decisions
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal budgetary reporting requirements
- Work with department managers to develop five year business plans
- Assist in establishing short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure to effectively accomplish the departments goals and objectives
- Serve on planning and policy-making committees
- Serve as primary government liaison relative to financial issues
- Coordinate financial audits and provide recommendations for procedural improvements
- Represent the company externally to government agencies, auditors, and the general public
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff
- Provide accounting policy orientation for new staff
- Coordinate with the management of the MIS department to ensure company objectives are met
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects
- Masters Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business with strong Accounting experience
- Five (5) to Ten (10) years experience in a mid to senior level finance or accounting position, and a CPA (preferred)
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections
- Working knowledge of short and long term budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, and product-line profitability analysis.
- Experience in Government contracts with military applications
- Small and large project/program orientation
< Back to Job Descriptions Library
Featured Accounting Jobs Today!
Featured Accounting Schools
BS Accounting, BS Business/Accounting, MBA Accounting, MS Accountancy
AA Accounting, BS Business Administration
BS Accounting, MS Accounting