Payroll Supervisor | Sample Job Description 2
If you are an employer seeking qualified job seekers for your Payroll Supervisor position, read our sample job description below and revise it to meet your company's specific job duties and requirements. If you are a job seeker looking for a Payroll Supervisor position, use our sample job description below to see what job skills and experiences employers are seeking.
The Payroll Supervisor Supervises Payroll representatives, ensuring that all processes are executed appropriately and in a timely manner. Operates as the subject matter expert and escalation point to resolve issues and continuously looks for improvements in operational processes and designs and implements those initiatives. Optimizes the contribution of the team through coaching, counseling and implements workable solutions to business issues/problems with minimum referral to management. Conducts work planning, estimation and prioritization to optimize performance of team and works with Payroll Manager to define standards and reusable approaches for Payroll operations. This individual manages effective internal/external client relationships within own area of responsibility, and builds client relationships in the wider group or unit.
- Interpret day-to-day business objectives and preparation/execution of operational practices/work programs.
- Supervise Payroll staff and fill in for the manager as needed and prepare work schedules to ensure appropriate coverage.
- Facilitate weekly (as required) team calls/meetings.
- Assist in monitoring workload and evaluate direct reports and may review the evaluations/development plans of others.
- Ensure team members acquire necessary skills and performance attributes, in line with business and personal development needs.
- Provide guidance to and shares knowledge with colleagues/team members relating to own specialization.
- Assist Payroll manager to create annual team objectives.
- Escalate potential service issues to Payroll manager.
- Directs work within clear budgetary guidelines.
- Participates in interview process for new hires into Payroll roles.
- Defines standards and reusable approaches within the Payroll operational framework.
- Train team members on new or enhanced operation procedures and policies.
- Identify process improvement initiatives and define standards for new processes.
- Cover for team members in back-up role for vacation and/or high-volume work efforts.
- Approve and release manual off-cycle check payments.
- Implement quality control measures.
- May be accountable for ongoing management of effective client service relationship in one area of the business as the main point of contact for senior client representatives.
- Minimum of 5 years of payroll experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of fast paced customer experience.
- Experience with Oracle payroll systems.
- Experience in budget development and management.
- Experience in a shared service environment and solid understanding of HR cycles.
- HR experience preferably in an operations environment.
- Ability to effectively supervise team members and work as a member of that team and organize work activities for other members of that team.
Professional Skills Qualifications
- Demonstrated coaching/mentoring skills and issue management problem solving skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; appropriately communicates with all levels of customers from assistants to Sr. Executives.
- Ability to adapt to changing environment and support of multiple clients.
- Ability to analyze/interpret data and take appropriate action.
- Ability & interest in training other team members.
- Some knowledge of tax reciprocity rules and regulations.
- Working knowledge of email, Internet Explorer, Excel and Access.
< Back to Job Descriptions Library
Featured Accounting Jobs Today!
Featured Accounting Schools
BS Accounting, BS Business/Accounting, MBA Accounting, MS Accountancy
AA Accounting, BS Business Administration
BS Accounting, MS Accounting